Previously we saw Sponsor Block which bypasses every Sponsor Ads uploaded by the original uploader of a video. However, ADN takes a much lighter path of bypassing corrupt Ads.
ADN is an open source browser extension designed to rid YouTube of corrupt ads and support honest YouTubers.
ADN can be installed from Firefox Add-ons and Chrome Web Store.
I’m also trying to win a fight with Apple support to publish an extension for Safari.
❓ How does it work?
Users report ads in videos, select its category and honesty, moderate each other’s reports and compete.
When you watch a video that our agents have already studied, all ad inserts will be marked in it so you can skip.
The acceptance level is being calculated for each ad.
It depends on a blogger’s previous behavior and current ad category.
It will be higher if the blogger is honest with his audience and doesn’t advertise questionable products.
But if ADN determines that the blogger sells his audience trust… he will become an adwhore and will be treated accordingly!
If the acceptance level is below set by you, the ad will be skipped automatically.
By default, the acceptance level is 70% and ads are skipped only if YouTuber didn’t state that there is an ad integration in his video.
You can adjust settings however you want.
ADWHORE.NET uses an advanced reputation system to fight vandalism:
- Server calculates the trust index for each ad so it will be auto skipped only if there is enough trust (set by you).
- People with a high reputation acts as moderators without even knowing about it.
- If the system detects vandalism, all user contributions and impact on other users will be eliminated using StalinSort-like algorithm.
- Admin team checks segments from time to time to reward people with a reputation so they can moderate each other.
tl;dr bare minimum, no tails
- Hashed + salted IP address. We can still identify and disable all your contributions but no one can get IP from the salted hash and identify you.
- We also store your country and city code assigned to hashed + salted IP.
- All information you submit (like, report, skip, upload).
- Time of contribution.
- Your secret key generated by the server when you first time downloaded extension (used for every POST request).
- Nickname associated with a secret key that can be changed by you.
- Every time you browse YouTube video ADN makes a GET request to get all known commercial segments from the video.
- These requests are not logged.
- Every time you skip YouTube commercial segment a POST request is sent to provide leaderboards functionality.
- Every time you like YouTube commercial segment a POST request is sent to provide moderation functionality.
- Every time you report YouTube commercial segment a POST request is sent to provide moderation functionality.
- Every time you upload YouTube commercial segment a POST request is sent to provide service for everyone
- Become an active community member. Submit commercial segments and review others. It’s easy and fun.
- I wrote an extension with 0 JS knowledge, so I need someone to review it.
- I need someone to fix my bad English in this markdown doc.
- I also need someone to port it on iOS/android when ADN will come out of alpha.
- I search for 100k+ subscribers YouTube ambassadors worldwide.
- Your ideas and thoughts are welcome.
I came up with this idea on 23rd May 2020 when I occasionally saw a video with a drunk Russian YouTuber complaining about the health of the platform.
Almost all Russian YouTubers make money through stealth advertising of questionable products (aka shit).
YouTube doesn’t pay good money in Russia so bloggers sell people’s trust for small money not caring for reputation.
But there are also good creative guys, not very much of them.
So when this guy tries to recommend something just for fun - he’s always getting blamed for it because of his colleagues.
I was looking for a new project, so I decided to create a solution for this problem: to create a way to differ honest YouTubers from adwhores.
At first, I wanted to create a SocialBlade-like website where people could report such bad YouTubers so moderators can review ads and calculate trust level: if a blogger can be trusted for words he says. Main goal: highlight good guys in a pile of shit. So I wanted to create a support extension to show this “trust level” near the YT channel name.
With time this idea evolved to a fully functional adblocker with a goal to separate good guys from the bad, blame bad guys with proofs, to force bad guys to be better. I hope that you understood what I was trying to express :D
So I experimented with collaborative pet-projects on my SA:MP scripts users (1k active users per day) and finally started ADN development.
22 July 2020 is a start for active development, 4 August 2020 - alpha release date.
Differences from SponsorBlock
SponsorBlock is the most active similar project that was lucky to appear before ADN.
ADN provides optional support for fetching segments from SponsorBlock’s database.
It’s more stable and has an active community, but it doesn’t care if the ad is acceptable or not: it just blocks it.
I disagree with such an approach, so I didn’t stop ADN development when discovered the SB project and never will.
ADN’s project goal is to keep a balance between a commercial dump and club of altruists: think of it like of Middle Way.
ADN main focus is Russian speaking youtube, 2nd priority is English speaking community. When ADN’s reputation system and the client will come out of beta, ADN will support every major language.
It’s also important to mention that while both ADN and SB clients are OSS, SB also provides a source for server and keeps its simple database open.
ADN keeps server-side code closed to prevent vandalism and don’t share a database to prevent it from being illegally selling by SMM agencies.
SB API’s unlimited. ADN’s API is limited and intended only for building clients for other platforms.
In the case of maintainer’s death/inactivity: server code and DB will be uploaded here
Github - https://github.com/qrlk/adwhore.net
Official Website - https://adwhore.net
Statistics - https://adwhore.net/en/stats
ADN provide optional support for SponsorBlock API
TODO: add icons references