KeePassXC is a modern, secure, and open-source password manager that stores and manages your most sensitive information. You can run KeePassXC on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems. KeePassXC is for people with extremely high demands of secure personal data management. It saves many different types of information, such as usernames, passwords, URLs, attachments, and notes in an offline, encrypted file that can be stored in any location, including private and public cloud solutions. For easy identification and management, user-defined titles and icons can be specified for entries. In addition, entries are sorted in customizable groups. An integrated search function allows you to use advanced patterns to easily find any entry in your database. A customizable, fast, and easy-to-use password generator utility allows you to create passwords with any combination of characters or easy to remember passphrases.
The QuickStart Guide gets you started using KeePassXC on your Windows, macOS, or Linux computer using pre-compiled binaries from the downloads page. Additionally, individual Linux distributions may ship their own versions, so please check your distribution’s package list to see if KeePassXC is available. Detailed documentation is available in the User Guide.
KeePassXC has numerous features for novice and power users alike. Our goal is to create an application that can be used by anyone while still offering advanced features to those that need them.
- Create, open, and save databases in the KDBX format (KeePass compatible to KDBX4 and KDBX3)
- Store sensitive information in entries that are organized by groups
- Search for entries
- Password generator
- Auto-Type passwords into applications
- Browser integration with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Chromium, Vivaldi, Brave, and Tor-Browser
- Entry icon download
- Import databases from CSV, 1Password, and KeePass1 formats
- Database reports (password health, HIBP, and statistics)
- Database export to CSV and HTML formats
- TOTP storage and generation
- Field references between entries
- File attachments and custom attributes
- Entry history and data restoration
- YubiKey/OnlyKey challenge-response support
- Command line interface (keepassxc-cli)
- Auto-Open databases
- KeeShare shared databases (import, export, and synchronize)
- SSH Agent
- FreeDesktop.org Secret Service (replace Gnome keyring, etc.)
- Additional encryption choices: Twofish and ChaCha20
For a full list of changes, read the CHANGELOG document. \
For a full list of keyboard shortcuts, see KeyboardShortcuts.adoc
Detailed instructions are available in the Build and Install page and in the Wiki.
Download & Install
Download - Windows, Linux, macOS
The complete database is always encrypted with the industry-standard AES (alias Rijndael) encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. KeePassXC uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe. Your wallet works offline and requires no Internet connection.
KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature works cross-platform and was thoroughly tested on multiple systems to provide users with the same look and feel on every supported operating system. This includes the beloved Auto-Type feature.
The full source code is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
We see open source as a vital prerequisite for any security-critical software product. For that reason, KeePassXC is and always will be free as in freedom (and in beer). Contributions by everyone are welcome!